Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Top 5 Miyazaki Films

Since Ponyo was just released in the US, I thought I would give my top five Miyazaki films:


5. Howls Moving Castle


Two reasons why I love Howl's:
1) The portal door
2) The little boy that could change into a little old man with an awesome beard.

4. Kiki's Delivery Service



This is such a charming movie and I find it fascinating that Kiki is a witch but the only magical thing she can do is fly on a broom.

3. My Neighbor Totoro



Two words: Cat Bus!

2. Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind



This is one of my favorite movies. The design of the characters are amazing, especially the Ohmu. The movie is based off of the manga by Miyazaki which I have yet to read but it's high on my list. A lot of Miyazaki fans have skipped this one since it's pretty old but please don't because you wont be disappointed.

1. Princess Mononoke



This the big daddy of all Miyazaki films. Picking this over Nausicaa was actually a very hard decision. I love them both equally but I think Mononoke takes the premise of Nausicaa and takes it a step further. I love this movie because of the violence and the demons. Watching samurai lose their limbs is so sexy. The demons are done well and they look really gruesome. I also can't forget my favorite miyazaki creation...

the Kodama!

No comments:

Post a Comment