Friday, July 31, 2009

Comic Con 09: Mouse Guard Panel


The Spotlight on David Petersen panel was one of the highlights of Comic-Con. I've been a fan of Mouse Guard for awhile now and I couldn't wait for David to talk about his book. I was hoping that this panel would wipe the disgusting taste of the Dark Horse panel away and I was right.

The panel started out with a Q&A between David and the moderator. The questions were very good and they answered a lot of my own questions about Mouse Guard. A question was asked about his process and he had a powerpoint that showed every step of the way, from the script all the way to the finished product.


The best part of the panel was the preview of his next book. David couldn't spoil much since most of the audience hadn't finished reading the Winter series yet. Howeever, he was able to show a spoiler pic of the Black Axe with yellow fur with an awesome looking weasel in the background. Let me just say that it looked amazing. He then revealed that after the Black Axe series, which starts in 2010, he will then do a book on the Weasel wars and then return to the current timeline.

The floor was then opened up to questions and I asked about the role-playing game. Since it just won the Origins award for best RPG I asked him if there were any plans for more source books. He said no because he didn't want to milk the fans so he tried to make the book as comprehensive as possible. Even though I wish there were more material out there to run a campaign, I will just have to do my best with the one book and the comics

At the end of the panel, they passed out a couple of prints which included the preview image of the Black Axe. I was stoked and so was the rest of the audience. It really was a great panel and hope he can do the same thing next year. I want to thank David for letting me blow my fan boy load all over him.

No comments:

Post a Comment